I am a Scottish composer, sound artist and vocalist currently based in Glasgow. I studied at University of Glasgow, completing a BMus (Goudie Prizewinner), an MMus in composition (Broomhill and Bellahouston Scholarships), and a PhD in electroacoustic composition funded by the AHRC (portfolio: Hearing Voices, 2009).
My work spans a range of self-directed projects, interdisciplinary and participatory collaborations (theatre, installation, performance, other media). Some ongoing interests inform my sound art/composition practice:
- The sonorous and expressive potential of the human voice, both live and recorded;
- Listening processes;
- Voice-body connections;
- Space, place and soundscapes;
- Improvisational and collaborative processes.
Current or recent events and collaborations include:
- Selected artist for Sura Medura residency with UZ Arts in Sri Lanka;
- Video Jam live performance to film, Colombo Art Biennale opening night (Sri Lanka);
- Radio 3 Exposure Glasgow with Verity Sharp: performance and broadcast
- Radiophrenia Live-to-Air commission with writer Zoë Strachan;
- Glasgow Soundscapes: Place, Space and Memory: invited curator for WebSYNradio (France);
- Sonic Bothy Ensemble: ongoing performances and workshops;
- Good Days Bad Days sound installation with Martin O’Connor and NERC recovery cafes, commissioned by GRAND and GEAC Platform-to-Health;
- One of four composers selected for the inaugural Choreographers and Composers Lab, Phoenix Dance Theatre, Leeds;
- Composed sound artwork for Dougie Strang’s performance installation Teine Èiginn;
- Radiophrenia live-to-air solo commission (Sonnets);
- Creative Scotland Artists’ Bursary Award for research of new work;
- HearAfter vocal sound installation (GoMA, Glasgow; Ohrenhoch, Berlin; The Auricle, Christchurch, NZ);
- Post-Industrial Broadcast #1 (fixed medium) won the 2013 IAWM Pauline Oliveros Prize, and featured on 2014 Framework Radio CD Seasonal Issue #7;
- Sound design for Martin O’Connor’s Theology (CATS Award nomination for Best Music and Sound Category);
- Ensemble vocalist in Hanna Tuulikki’s Away with the Birds (Tramway, Tectonics Festival, Isle of Canna).
Also, in other work
I was a Teaching Fellow at University of Glasgow Music Department for two years; sound artist in the creative team for Hooks + Bites, a Glow Co-Create project with Plan B Collective + Learning and Teaching Scotland; joint composer/leader for HumDrum, large-scale drumming and singing events for women; and co-sound artist/creative facilitator for All We’re Skilled In, a sound for film project with GFT, Plantation Productions and Scottish Screen Archive.
and probably partly inspired by a challenging year 2015-16 personally, I have started to slow down the creative process by incorporating contemplative practices and engaging with different artistic media to open new perspectives on my work in music and sound. Also, after completing my Seasonal Yoga Teacher Training, I am now a qualified yoga teacher. See Breathspace for more info on that.
Thanks for reading.
A CV and Refs are available on request.